Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pono Loa









This has to be the easiest project ever. Living in Hawaii is a disadvantage to an artist. There's no big bustling cities to look at right outside. No good real life references. I mean the internet is there but still, sometimes a script calls for something mundane and ordinary, you know real common knowledge but I won't know what it is. But this project takes place here. Where I live. I can look outside my door for real life reference. It's my own culture. Things that are common knowledge to me is all in there. No need for research. Research for a project can really pull a project back a few notches. It takes time and you need to know how to do it right. Use the internet, magazines, books, movies, all that stuff.

But what really makes this project even easier is the creator- Stephen Smirl. This guy actually gave me some books to read up on. He's been a blast to work with. And he even pays me. First paid gig- yipee!

This particular group of pages are from Pono Loa: The King Who Ate Men. The main character in this book is the main antagonist in the main Pono Loa story line that's being pencilled by the talented Renae Deluz, and inked and colored by Ray Dillon. The dynamic duo. I wish my wife would ink and color my work. The letters here were done by Stephen Smirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment